Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Episode 7 - (Mostly) Healthy Applesauce Pancakes

Share it Please
So, this is only my 7th recipe post and it's already my 3rd breakfast recipe...are you getting the impression that I love me some breakfast?  'Cause I do.  It is the most important meal of the day, after all!  In any case, these pancakes are fluffy, flavourful and wonderful in a way those powder from a box pancakes could never be.  Plus, those boxed ones are full of sodium and god knows what else.  Seriously...read the label, it's shocking!  Don't be lazy.  Make these ones instead!

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil

Preheat a non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat.
Mix the dry ingredients together in 1 bowl and the wet in another.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir.  I always have to add some water to make the batter get a pourable consistency but the amount varies each time.  Use your judgment and add little bits at a time until you get a nice pourable batter.  This is pancakes...its not an exact science ;)
Ladle some batter into the pan and cook until the edges look set and some bubbles have formed on the top.  Flip over and cook until the second side is golden and delicious looking.  Stick the finished pancakes in a warm oven to keep them warm while you make the rest.

I am weird.  I dislike maple syrup, although I am told that these are excellent topped with it if you like that sort of thing.  I, on the other hand, prefer this:

3 tbsp plain yogurt (one without gelatin)
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix in a little bowl and put a blob of it on each pancake.  Top with some fruit.  Any kind works!

I must admit, after I make the batter, Dawson always has to cook my pancakes for me...and my french toast...and my grilled cheese or anything else requiring slow patient cooking.  He does this for me because he is wonderful.  Every girl should be so lucky ;)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...