Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Episode 20 - The Camping Edition!

Share it Please
Last week Dawson and I went canoeing in Algonquin Park and me being me I spent at least a few good hours agonizing over what we were going to eat for the 3 days we were there.  It had to be light and easily carried, relatively non-perishable and, most importantly not gross.  This is the menu we decided on...you know...just in case you're going camping and dislike gross-ness. Or if you're just curious.  Curious works too.

Spicy lentils over a campfire! So good!

Day 1

Lunch

Crackers (Black Pepper and Olive Oil Triscuits) , Aged Cheddar Cheese, and Chorizo

Pretty simple and straight forward.  This was delicious and required no cooking.  It was also light to pack, which was nice!

Dinner

BBQ Chicken with Baked Potatoes

We froze some chicken breasts in our homemade BBQ sauce the night before then wrapped it in paper towel and some tin foil to help keep it cold for as long as possible.  It was totally thawed by dinner time.  Also delicious but I wouldn't recommend doing this any later than the first night!

For the baked potatoes, I washed and sliced them in half the night before leaving, then spread some margarine on each half, stuck some onion slices inside and sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  I wrapped them in tin foil and just stuck them on the fire to cook.  They took forever but were kinda worth it in the end.  Next time I might slice them up into smaller chunks for faster cooking.


Day 2

Breakfast

Eggs, Ham and Bread

Sunny side up with ham steaks and bread.  We cooked this one over our little camp stove that just uses those "Magic Heat" canisters.  It was really windy so it took some time to cook.  I'm thinking I'll need a more powerful stove for later in the season.  Still, our little folding one we used here was pretty cool!

Lunch

Soup and Grilled Cheese

It was just dry soup that we added water to and then boiled but it was warm and tasty.  The grilled cheese used up the last of our old cheddar from the day before.  Look at us being all efficient!

Dinner

Spicy Lentil Stew with Flat Bread

Easily the food highlight of the trip!! It was really just some red lentils cooked in chicken broth and a mix of spices I threw into a ziplock bag the night before leaving but it was awesome!  The recipe was something like this:

1.5 cups red lentils
4 cups water
2 cubes of Knorr chicken broth
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Dissolve the broth cubes in the water and bring to a boil.  Add the spices and lentils and stir.  Simmer, stirring occasionally until the lentils have absorbed the liquid and you're left with a thick pot of lentil-y goodness.
Serve with warm flatbread.  We cooked ours over a campfire!

Day 3

Breakfast

Pancakes with Syrup and PB

This would have been a good idea, except that we brought the world's worst pancake mix.  Next year I'll just make my own and bring it.  I honestly don't know why I didn't do it in the first place.  Let this be a lesson to you...pancake mixes = bad, homemade = good.

Lunch

Mac and Cheese

Ya...I know... from a box.  But space was limited...and it was that awesome white cheddar kind.  Everything in moderation, right?

THE END

Not bad, right?  I know...I'd eat most of that stuff even if I wasn't on a secluded lake with a one burner stove and only the ingredients I was willing to carry on my back.  Especially the lentils.  Mmmm the lentils.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...