Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Episode 53 - This is not Diet Food

Share it Please
Know what I did yesterday?  I left my warm and oh-so-comfy bed at approximately 5:15 am (barf).  I then got into my car and drove to Montreal.  Why, dear internet, did I do such a crazy thing?  For a 9 am mandatory orientation for the internship I'm starting next tuesday (double barf).

Do you know how far Montreal is from Carleton Place?  Far. The trip took me approximately 3 hours. 3 hours of valuable sleeping time just transformed before my eyes into traffic jams in both Ottawa and Montreal.  Poof!  Obviously, I was generally a very unhappy camper about the whole experience. Ugh.

Once arriving at this apparently super important orientation I was given a folder full of info I had already read and then subjected to sitting for 3 hours while a guest speaker then re-read the document to me.  Apparently, the school feels I am incapable of reading. Giving important nutrition advice - sure! Why not?  But read?  Absolutely not.  In any case, I then drove home (another 2 hours).  In case your math is as bad as my apparent reading skills let me just clarify that all this means, I drove for 5 hours in order to attend a ~3.5 hour session in redundancy.

Know what I did today? Pretty much the same flippin' thing - except today I had the added bonus of my "check engine" light deciding to make an appearance and my cell phone choosing today as the day it would freeze and become non-functional all day.  The fun just doesn't stop coming!

Can you tell I am tired?  Can you tell I am generally irritated at life?  Can you tell I am in need of some cheese to go with my whine?  Big time.

Cajun Shrimp Pasta

Cheesy, creamy wonderfulness. 
~ half a box of spaghetti noodles
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, diced
10-12 medium sized shrimp, frozen
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt, pepper and dried chili peppers to taste
1 cup table cream (18% m.f.)
1/4 cup grated asiago cheese

Start a pot of water on the stove  for your spaghetti and cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Toss in your onion and peppers and cook until they start to soften slightly - about 5 minutes.  Next, add your shrimp and all of the spices.  Toss around to evenly spread the spices and cook until the shrimp is almost entirely pink - another 5 minutes or so.  Add the cream to the pan, bring to a boil and allow it to thicken and become sauce-like - 2-3 minutes.  Don't go trying to be all virtuous and using milk in place of the cream - it won't work.  You'll end up with a curdled pan of grossness.  This is comfort food, not diet food.  Just go for it and promise your thighs you'll do better tomorrow.  Toss in your cooked spaghetti and do your best to coat evenly with your new deliciously fatty sauce.  Distribute into two bowls and top with the cheese.  Creamy carb coma, here I come.  You should probably eat this dish while wearing an outfit like this...you know, to allow the necessary room for expansion:
This is my personal style. 

I should report that after eating this for dinner tonight I am in a much better mood.  Also, as it turns out, my cell phone is just fine and all it needed was a helpful Roger's employee ( a rarity, I know!) to restart it for me. The car is a whole other issue though.  That's probably good and broked.  Broked is a word.  I'm tired.  Don't mess with me.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...