Friday, October 14, 2011

Episode 66 - Sunday

Share it Please
Isn't Sunday just the best day ever?  Lately I find that I pretty much live for Sundays.  I waste spend every other day of the week just wishing it were Sunday. I plan out which pjs I will vegetate in, which delicious egg-based breakfast Dawson will make for me, which movies we will zone out to, which exact position on our couch will provide the most optimal combination of coziness, cuddle-ability and proximity to my giant mug of coffee...  Soon I anticipate requiring some type of spreadsheet outlining how we will do exactly nothing with our Sundays.

This past Sunday was particularly wonderful since due to the long weekend it actually occured on a Monday!  You see, Sunday isn't really a particular day so much as it is a state of mind.  You know, that state of mind you are in when you know you have an entire day to do only what you feel like doing?  That's Sunday.  When you go on vacation everyday becomes Sunday.  Kristy's weekday philosophy 101.  So yes, this past monday was decidedly a Sunday.    
Couch cuddle-age

On this past Sunday (which was really Monday), Dawson and I made what was probably one of the ugliest dinners we will ever make.  Completely delicious, but horribly, horribly ugly.  It's hideous, really....a dish only a mother could love...to look at.  You'll all probably love to eat it!

Chorizo and Black Bean Soup

Ugly soup.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced Spanish chorizo
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, miced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp cumin
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 box chicken stock
1/2 avocado, diced for topping
pinch of dried chili flakes for topping

Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.  Add the garlic, onions and green pepper and cook until they get a little soft.  Next, add the chorizo, the chipotles and the spices.  Give the pot a good stir and continue to cook until some of the fat and therefore flavour of the chorizo starts to cook out.  Now for the ugly part - split your black beans into 2 halves.  Add one half to the pot unharmed.  Take the other half, pour them into a bowl and mash the crap out of them with a potato masher.  They should look like a mess.  Add the mashy beans to the pot with the broth.  Now the whole thing should be good and ugly.  Stir, bring the whole thing to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.  To serve, ladle some hideous grey soup into a bowl and top with a sprinkling of avocado and some dried chili flakes. Mmm spicy goodness.


My plans for this sunday - sleep in, crepes for breakfast, spend the day in comfy socks, leggings and flannel, watch Dexter and possibly build a fall-ish lasagna...I'm thinking pumpkins need to be involved.  In any case if it turns out as delicious as it is in my head I'll report back...just not on Sunday.  Sunday is for lazy time.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Exactly how I feel about Sundays. And as soon as I saw the avocado you had me sold. Mmmmm

Kristy said...

Avocado = one of my most favourite things. Not just favourite foods, but favourite THINGS. I told Dawson that if we ever got in a fight and he wanted to make it up to me he could just buy me a ripe avocado. Flowers are overrated. Give me creamy green 'cado goodness any day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...