Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Episode 78 - Accidentally Delicious

Share it Please
I am the worst grocery shopper.  If I don't bring a list (and sometimes even if I DO bring a list) I always forget at least one item.  Sometimes it's just something small, like a spice, that I can easily just replace, but generally it's something painfully obvious.  For example, I have a horrible habit of forgetting to buy cheese for lasagna. Who's ever heard of a cheese-less lasagna?!  That's just crazy talk.  In any case, this week I forgot the coconut milk for the Thai red curry peanut sauce I had planned.  Of course I didn't realize I had forgotten the coconut milk until it was far too late to go out and get some and so I had 2 choices:
     1) Abandon the curry idea entirely and eat random mystery leftovers from the depths of the fridge, or
     2) Improvise a coconut-less curry sauce.
Obviously I opted for the latter choice, and I'm glad I did, because - yum! It was kind of really really good!  Taking out the coconut milk also significantly reduces the saturated fat, making this a pretty healthy accident.  If you like Thai food but dislike jiggly thighs, love handles and atherosclerosis this might be just the recipe you didn't know you needed.

Thai Red Curry and Peanut Sauce

1 1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp red curry paste
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp corn starch

Slap 1 cup of the broth and everything except the corn starch into a sauce pot, bring to a boil and the simmer while you make some kind of stir fry.  We had garlic, onions, green pepper and shrimp.  When the stir fry is almost done, dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 1/4 cup of broth pour into the sauce and stir until it's nice and thick.  Toss with the stir fry and tada!  Delicious!

In other, non curry-related news, Dawson and I sent out what are probably the most wonderfully cheesy Christmas cards ever this year.  Here is your copy!  Merry Christmas, Internet! 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...