Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Episode 96 - Poutine on a Diet

Share it Please
I love poutine.  I love the wearing of my fat-pants much, much less.  Ugh, damn you cheese and gravy!  This next recipe was born in an attempt to rectify the unfortunate bum-inflating side effects of this Canadian potato delicacy.  Vitamin A and fibre from the sweet potato, baking rather than deep-frying and a good low fat gravy all  make this version guilt-free!  Bonus points if you use part-skim mozzarella!


Sweet Potato Poutine - no fat pants required!

Ohmigosh I want to eat this again right now...
Oven Fries
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into even strips
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Gravy
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp crushed rosemary
2 cups beef broth
2 tsp cornstarch
salt and pepper, to taste

3/4 cup fresh mozzarella, cut into 1-cm cubes

Start with the oven fries - preheat the oven to 425 F.  Toss the potato strips with the oil and seasonings until well coated and place in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 mins or until soft.

To make the gravy, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and saute the garlic and onions until they get transparent and wimpy.  Add the rosemary and cook for another minute or so.  While the rosemary, onions and garlic are heating, mix the cornstarch into the broth to form a slurry.  Pour this into the saucepan with the onion mixture and stir.  Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer until it thickens and starts to look gravy-ish.

To serve, put a pile of sweet potato fries in a bowl, top with mozzarella cubes and douse the whole thing in warm delicious gravy.  The cheese will get melty and stretchy. Perfect!

While we are on the subject of bums, Dawson and I recently went couch shopping for our new place (eek!  29 more sleeps!).  The decision about which couch to buy is an interesting one.  It's probably the only purchase you'll ever make where your bum gets to step up and be the key decision maker.  I am excited to report that after many trials our butts have picked out what will most likely be the world's comfiest book-reading and movie-cuddling couch ever!  Expect to see many pictures of us curled up on it in the future!  Goodbye old green leather, hello couch heaven!
 

2 comments:

Aleksandra said...

I've been browsing your blog and I love it! You're also hilarious, love that! I've favourited your blog, but I don't see a GFC? I'd love to follow!

Kristy said...

Hi! Thanks! I crack myself up at times. But you're right - my follow button somehow went missing! Well that explains some things...lol! In any case it's back now! Feel free to follow away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...