Friday, June 29, 2012

Episode 98 - In the Lap of Luxury

Share it Please
Sometimes my life is so hard.  I just got back from a 3 day conference in Toronto where I was forced to swim in the heated saltwater pool, soak in the hot tub and sleep alone in a huge king sized bed with 6 pillows.  I was also forced to eat croissants, fancy cheeses, smoked salmon and omelets made to my exact specifications.  Rough, eh?  I haven't even told you about the wine!  The free wine.  Free!  Wine!  Despite all these luxuries I really couldn't wait to get home to my own bed, my own kitchen and my own man, because sometimes things don't have to be fancy to be perfect.


Grilled Salmon with Dill Sauce


This picture does not do this meal justice.  Some day I promise to
get some kind of actual photography skill...
1 large fillet of salmon
1 lemon, sliced into rounds
salt and pepper, to taste


1 cup couscous
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp capers plus about 1 tsp of the juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper, to taste


2 tbsp mayo
1 tsp dijon
1 tbsp chopped dill
salt and pepper, to taste


Start by building yourself a little fish boat (described here) and lay out a bed of lemon slices.  Stick the fish up on top, season it with salt and pepper then grill away - about 15 minutes over medium heat (this can vary depending on how thick your fish is).
While the fish is cooking start the couscous.  To do this you pretty much follow the directions on the box but substituting chicken broth for the water.  When its all nice and fluffy add the capers and juice, oil, mustard, salt and pepper and mix until it's delicious.
Finally, the sauce - this is the easy part.  Just stick everything in a ramekin and stir.  Done!
Serve the salmon over a bed of the couscous with a dollop or two of the dill sauce up on top!  Simple, but delicious!

Now that I'm home the luxury seems to be continuing.  I took today off of work and spent the day shopping and getting a massage and tomorrow Dawson and I are going off to celebrate our anniversary (that we both forgot about this year!) by eating copious amounts of Brazilian food.   We'll also be staying in yet another fancy-dancy hotel, mostly because the dinner comes with far more alcohol than we could possibly drink and still be able to legally drive home - be safe kids, don't drink and drive - stay in fancy hotel beds instead!  Yeah, sometimes my life is so hard.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...