Thursday, February 02, 2012

Episode 85 - Hocus Pocus

Share it Please
A funny thing happens when you are a dietitian.  People suddenly act differently around you at meal times.  Just the other day at work someone apologized to me for eating a cookie in my presence.  Someone else asked my permission to have poutine.  Apparently I have graduated and become not only a dietitian but also an officer of the law.  I am the Food Police. Interesting...
Soup - the most un-photogenic of foods.

Spicy Lentil and Squash Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup dried red lentils
2 tbsp of this spice mix - about halfway down the page
4 cup chicken or veggie broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped
dried pepper flakes,  salt, and pepper to taste

Start by heating the oil in a heavy pot over medium high head.  Toss in the garlic and onions and cook until wimpy.  Next, add the lentils and spices and cook until it starts to smell delicious (about 1 minute), then quickly add the broth to keep the spices from burning.  Now you can pretty much add in everything else, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for at least 30 minutes.  The longer you let it simmer the more delicious it gets. You may have to wilt the chard in batches depending on how big your pot is. Voila!  Soup!

Today was a co-workers birthday and I offered to bake a cake.  I came in this morning with a double chocolate fudge cheesecake.  DOUBLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE!  CHEESECAKE!  I assumed those words would help me break out of the food police role. If four packages of cream cheese, four eggs, chocolate and heavy cream don't do the trick, nothing will. 

Just now I got this in an email:

ps...Happy Birthday "M" and to the baker: Kristy that was a really yummy caloric restricted cheese cake. it made my day. :)

Hmmm.  So now apparently I'm a food magician too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...